Monday 23 June 2014

Alison..

Alison is a woman of an upperclass family, her father being a Colonel. She marries into Jimmy's working class lifestyle in a sort of rebellion. Although her marriage is far from good, her husband is angry at the difference the two share and does not hold back in telling her about how he feels. Being in the marriage and hearing the words Jimmy says has left Alison very miserable and closed off. 

Although she claims to have only ever loved Jimmy she finds the courage, from her friend Helena, to leave Jimmy and go back home. She does this without ever telling him she is pregnant with his child. In the last scene she returns to her old home and talks to Helena, who had been in a relationship with Jimmy, during their conversation Helena realises she has been doing wrong by being with Jimmy and is makin plans to leave. After she does go Alison and Jimmy are alone, after hurtful words are said Alison breaks down and shows how much pain she has been in. She shows Jimmy that she too has gone through great suffering and now understands his anger, thus leading to the two ending the scene in each other arms. 


My potrayal of Alison

During the scene i had though about Alisons behaviour and body language. I thought she would be very held together and closed off but also very full of emotion. 

During the conversation with Helena i tried to show Alison, at times, as a very bitter person as she is talking to a friend that moved in with her husband and starts a relationship with him. I think the best part this is shown when i say the line  "you loved him didnt you". This line is said full of emotion, being angry and upset but also bewildered as how her friend could get her out of a dreadful marriage only to go to that man. 

However once she is speaking to Jimmy you see how much pain she is in. After hearing hurtful words from Jimmy she breaks down and shows him that the suffering she went through makes her realise things. The line "i dont want to be neutral. I dont want to be a saint. I want to be a lost cause i want to be corrupt and futile" shows just how much she is lile Jimmy now. I did this line full of hatred to the suffering she had gone through but also hopeful that Jimmy can take her back and they can be the same people. 

I had made myself very reserved and made sure body language look as if i didnt want to move too much incase i hurt myself more. I stayed sat still and only moving a few times to show that i was still in pain and suffering but also that i wanted to stay and make sure Jimmy would understand everything. I also had a cardigan that i would wrap around myself as if i was trying to protect myself from any words being thrown at me. 

I think my version of Alison had worked well as it showed her quiet, reserved self in the beginning until her breakdown. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a good reflection about the way that you played Alison, although you don't talk about the process that led you this characterisation. There is some nice detail here about the physical actions that you used to communicate to the audience.

    ReplyDelete